Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mega Mom

This week this mega mom conquered the dryer all by herself!!
Our dryer has been making this awful noise. We've had problems with it before and just oiled it but, now it sounds more like a banging noise and was putting little black stuff on our clothes.

After phone calls to my super handy dad, appliance blog forums and youtube videos I was able to diagnosis and repair the rear baring in our dryer. Though the shop I bought the part at was very doubtful that I knew what I was doing. Take this appliance guy!!

We repaired the front pads last year, so I knew how to open it up. Then had to get the drum out.

Here is the baring. See all that nasty black stuff...that's what was ending up on our clothes...grind ed metal....nice huh!




This is the part that holds the baring in and theres a little metal ball that goes behind that. Notice how big the whole has become, it's more than 3 times what it's suppose to be.

We did have a little problem when I noticed that the new metal ball was missing from the opened package that was on the counter. I figured it had fallen on the floor and I swept it up after dinner. So after a prayer I dumped out the super nasty garbage and to my amazement after a few seconds of shifting through it, there was at little ball. Talk about a needle in a hay stack!!

I learned so much about dryers after researching it, I was able to check other parts of the dryer as well. I always thought we would get rid of this dryer when we moved from here but maybe we'll keep it around a little longer.

So in total I spent $26.99 for the part. Johnny did call a few handymen in town and it would have coast over $100 just for them to come. I think John owes me a nice dinner!!

Being a mom with 2 kids there is no way I was going to a laundry mat with them. I had to do that just before Nate was born when our other dryer went out. Not fun.

I couldn't have fixed it without my dad. He's the most handy person I know. He taught me a lot. I love you dad!!

Now we have a nice peaceful humming dryer!!

6 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...

way to go!!
thanks so much for letting aaron crash there the other night. It is very appreciated : )

mom said...

there was no way that I had try to fix a dyer like you did good job I am proud of you for even tiring to fix it yourself love you guys

Celeste said...

that's awesome!way to go!

Jennifer Rose said...

Yeah!! Mom's can do anything!! We fixed our refridgerator a couple of months back by doing research on the internet. Tom thought we might have to call a handy man, but I did the research and he did the work!! You're awesome for doing it all yourself!!

Jennifer Rose said...

It's sad that the guy at the shop was doubtful of you. I encounter people at woodworking shops all the time that are skeptical and suprised when I tell them all the wood and tools I buy are for me and not my husband.

Jenny said...

haha. love the pic!